[WN] I Became the Genius Bastard of a Noble Dark Clan Chapter 65
Chapter 65
“...I'm fine now, so you don't need to keep coming.” Chris said, a look of discomfort on his face.
Ever since that day, Jupien had been visiting daily. And each time, she would just sit there, silent. She was doing it again.
“...”
She simply sat there, staring blankly at Chris.
...Is she coming just to make me uncomfortable? Is this her revenge?
It was a petty yet potent form of revenge! And it was incredibly unsettling.
Even Marie seemed annoyed, letting out a chilling, “Oh-ho-ho,” laugh as she spoke.
“Would you like something to drink, young lady? Should I prepare some virgin's blood... juice for you?”
“No, I prefer bachelor's blood juice. A handsome one's blood, if you please.”
“...Bachelor's blood juice isn't my specialty.”
Jupien was indeed a formidable opponent. Marie's shoulders slumped in defeat after Jupien's unblinking reply.
...When is she leaving?
Chris had nothing to say, and when he did try to speak, her reactions were lackluster, so he just stayed silent.
After a short while, Jupien began to prepare to leave. It was a moment Chris inwardly welcomed with open arms.
“I hate you. I'm going to crush you someday.”
“...Is that so?”
“Still,”
Jupien's voice grew softer. She turned her head and said,
“...Thank you for this time.”
“...”
Was it his imagination, or did her white earlobes appear faintly flushed?
Chris looked surprised for a moment. Then, he grinned and spoke.
“I can't quite hear you. I think you'll need to speak a little louder for me to catch that.”
“...If you didn't hear it, then forget it.” Jupien replied, her voice turning cold again. “Don't get the wrong idea. I'm merely acknowledging what you did, that's all.”
“Indeed, I did do something quite remarkable. Now that you understand, you're welcome to treat me as your savior from now on.”
“...”
Jupien glared at Chris. “Things will be different once you become a Young Master. Remember that, and don't get arrogant.”
Chris understood her words. It was a warning.
She's right, things will definitely be different from before.
Up until now, the Young Masters and Chris had been on completely different planes. He was an existence not even worth trampling. But once he became a Young Master, the situation would change. He would stand on equal footing with them. That meant the other Young Masters would try their hardest to crush him.
Well, it doesn't matter.
Chris was just as eager to crush them. That included Ashid, the most likely candidate for Young Master. And Yulian, the First Young Lady, who concealed secrets. And the Third Young Master, known for his savagery toward enemies. And Sherard, the mad First Young Master. They were all targets he needed to crush.
And does that target include... Young Lady Jupien, too?
Chris tilted his head, looking at Jupien, who sat before him like a motionless doll. While she had helped him this time, it didn't mean their relationship had grown closer. Once he became a Young Master, he would have to compete with Jupien as well. However, he didn't feel particularly ill-will toward Jupien. It was likely due to her nature. Though she seemed ill-mannered, she wasn't someone with a twisted personality. This was especially true when considering her death in his original life.
In his previous life, Jupien died during the First Great War. At that time, the Dark Demon Families had submitted to the Blood Demon King and were obeying his commands. Jupien, however, refused the Blood Demon King's order to massacre a small village in the Alliance and was reportedly thrown alive into a monster cage to die. It was an unusual incident that had stuck in his memory.
“What are you looking at? Am I that pretty?”
“...”
Jupien seemed subtly eccentric.
“Never mind if you're not. I'm leaving.”
Seeing Jupien rise with a blank expression, Chris offered a piece of advice.
“It would be good for you to practice separating your illusion from your ego.”
“...”
“Otherwise, your illusion won't be able to move independently.”
This was advice based on Jupien's splitting sword technique, which she had used against the masked woman. Jupien stared at Chris for a moment.
“...You know a lot about illusion magic?”
“I studied it for about three months.”
For reference, Jupien had practiced illusion magic for over five years.
“You're arrogant.” Jupien frowned intently, then left the room.
Did she understand?
It didn't seem like she dismissed it.
Whether she gains enlightenment from these few words is uncertain, but... well, she'll figure it out herself.
It was a whimsical act of assistance, so whether she achieved success or not, it didn't really matter.
Speaking of which, I need to recover quickly.
Chris's face was a bit stiff. He felt like he could recover quickly using the secret techniques of the Divine Doctor family, but he couldn't use them due to others' watchful eyes.
[Oh-ho-ho... Now that the intruder is gone, shall we resume our private time, young master?]
“...You too, leave.”
[Oh-ho-ho... I'll bring you some ginger ale, young master. A romantic drink with your maiden? How about that?]
“...I hate ginger, you know? And what the hell kind of romantic...?”
As he grumbled, another knock came.
[...Could it be that annoying young lady again?]
“I wonder. Who is it?”
This wasn't the main mansion of the Dark Demon Families, but a villa near the meeting grounds, so there really shouldn't have been anyone else visiting besides Jupien. Marie, with the expression of someone dealing with an unwanted interruption, opened the door.
But it wasn't Jupien. It was an unexpected face: Marisa of the Extreme Poison Demon Family! She stood before Chris with an awkward expression.
“...What is it?”
“...Are you feeling okay?”
“...More or less? Still quite sore.”
That was all. Marisa clamped her lips shut and said nothing further. A complex emotion flickered in her emerald-like eyes.
...Why is she here? If she came, she should speak. Is she here to make me uncomfortable too?
The ghost, Marie, spoke as if telling the intruder to disappear.
[Oh-ho-ho... If you have nothing to say, please leave. Our young master needs my tender care.]
But Marisa said something unexpected.
“Someone wants to see you.”
“Who?”
“My father.”
“...What?”
Chris couldn't help but ask blankly for a moment. He had no other choice.
“Your father, then...”
“Yes, that's right.”
Chris swallowed. Marisa's father. The head of the Extreme Poison Demon Family and an 8-star Demon Lord, Duke Huam.
Chris followed Marisa out. Although he was still recovering, simple movements were fine.
“Did His Grace Duke Huam come to the meeting? I thought only the working-level staff attended.”
“He didn't attend the meeting directly. He only coordinated from behind the scenes.”
“...I see.” Chris nodded.
It was an unexpected encounter with a major figure.
I thought I wouldn't have to meet him.
Duke Huam, like the Old Patriarch Nordian, died before the First Great War. That was only a year or two away. But Marisa, who was walking ahead, said something unexpected.
“...Are you really okay?”
“Huh? More or less.”
“...Right.”
Silence again. Chris tilted his head. She seemed to have something more she wanted to say.
“Why?”
“...Can I ask you something? You anticipated this conspiracy and made those preparations, didn't you?”
“Yes, that's right. Just as I testified at the meeting.”
Marisa clamped her lips shut again.
“...Then, subduing me too?”
Chris didn't deny it. “I did think that if the Extreme Poison Demon Family was plotting something, they might target you. The succession situation in the Extreme Poison Demon Family is complicated, so I subdued you just in case.”
“...I see.”
A complex light flickered in Marisa's eyes again. Come to think of it, Chris had deliberately provoked her back then, going out of his way. At the time, she had cursed him, calling him a bastard, but looking back, he had been considerate of her in his own way. Though humiliating, thanks to being subdued by Chris, Marisa avoided any suspicion. If she hadn't been, she would have had a terribly difficult time explaining that she was truly unrelated to the incident.
...I owe him.
Marisa glanced sideways. Chris’s face came into view. She felt an inexplicable turmoil in her heart. Marisa frowned at her own confusing feelings.
“...Anyway, thank you. If it weren't for you, I would have been in big trouble.”
Chris looked at Marisa and thought to himself, It's a relief she recognizes the favor.
It was time to make Marisa his pawn. He began his move.
“It's nothing. You're an important person to me, after all.”
“...What did you just say?”
Thump.
Marisa’s heart sank. For reasons unknown, her heart began to pound wildly. Blood rushed to her head, and she stammered, flustered without realizing it.
“W-What...?”
We're already over. If you do this...
She tried to say something to that effect, but the words wouldn't come out, and she struggled. Then, Chris continued, his voice indifferent, devoid of any emotion.
“There will be many things happening between the Extreme Poison Demon Family and the main household in the future. So, I hope you'll become a political ally. For the benefit of both of us and our two families.”
“...”
It wasn't a bad proposition, but Marisa's expression turned cold. Chris tilted his head.
“Is it perhaps because of our past relationship? You don't have to worry about that. I have absolutely no intention of rekindling our ties or reversing the annulment. We are perfect strangers.”
He emphasized it forcefully to reassure her, but her reaction was strange. She became even colder, like ice.
“...Marisa?”
“...I’ll accept the proposal. For the benefit of both families.”
That was it. Marisa said nothing more.
“??”
“...”
Chris kept tilting his head, but she kept her lips tightly sealed, offering no response. He was puzzled, but he had no more time to ponder. They had arrived at their destination. It was time to meet the head of the Extreme Poison Demon Family, Demon Lord Duke Huam.
Duke Huam was looking out the window. His age was roughly mid-50s. He was around the same age as Marquis Langham.
An 8-star demon.
However, he didn't feel the crushing pressure he had felt when he first saw Old Patriarch Nordian. Perhaps he was deliberately suppressing his presence. His demeanor was also gentle, unlike a demon. He had the typical appearance of a scholar. But that didn't mean he could be underestimated. Duke Huam was the absolute master of poison, capable of annihilating entire armies with a single gesture. Beneath that gentle exterior, an unimaginable abyss likely coiled.
“Duke, I have brought Christian of the Baron Ducal Family.”
Duke Huam turned his gaze. A smile played on his lips.
“Yes, Lisa. But haven't I told you to call me Papa?”
“...Duke.”
“It saddens this father that you constantly put up a wall.”
“We have a guest. Please compose yourself.”
Duke Huam chuckled. “Very well, I understand. I was being foolish. Instead, let's have dinner together later. I've had your favorite venison prepared.”
“...Understood.”
Marisa turned and left, and Duke Huam briefly watched his daughter's retreating back with a warm gaze.
...Unexpected.
Chris looked surprised by the affectionate display between father and daughter.
To think Duke Huam was this kind of person.
Chris had no personal acquaintance with Duke Huam in his previous life. However, he knew a great deal about Duke Huam. He had to. He was a very famous figure. In the Alliance, Duke Huam was even more renowned than Old Patriarch Nordian. Was it because he was strong? No.
Comments
Post a Comment